The X-Plane 10 mesh scenery products by alpilotx are more than just mesh, as the name would imply. In addition to the terrain itself, they also include landclass, forests, road/railroad networks, all water features and autogen data. They have also recently been updated to version 3, including numerous improvements and a whole new area; Australia.
Due to server demand, however, they do request that the community please download only one of the 98 files at the same time.
Click “Read More” for full details of the update and to find download locations.
After more than a year, the free (donationware) HD Mesh Scenery v3 replaces the previous v2 scenery package!
Covered Regions (see coverage on the download map below):
– Europe (Canaries included)
– North America (USA, Alaska, Canada)
– NEW: Australia
The HD Mesh Scenery v3 is a complete replacement for the default Global Scenery in X-Plane 10 for all covered regions (it includes mesh, landclass, forests, road/railroad networks, all water features and autogen data)!
The v3 is an update of the previous v2 version (thus it includes all the improvements which were present there) and has notable improvements in the following areas:
– Australia as a new region has been added (with completely replaced, higher resolution landclass data)!
– Europe has received a complete overhaul – higher resolution, higher quality – of its forest data (part of the landclass information)
– Canada has received a massive improvement of its water features (replaced the partially – regionally – incomplete OSM water data with government data –> CanVec)
– Improved forest representation (better, more detailed reproduction of the raw forest landclass information) resulting in much more natural look of forests/forest variations in all regions
– Refreshed Oepnstreetmap (OSM) for all regions (except the before mentioned Canadian water data) to reference date 10th October 2014. This alone can improve many parts in the scenery.
– Used latest (September 2014) apt data for airport mesh smoothing / deforesting.
– Further increased the mesh resolution (by about 20-30%)
– Many other smaller / larger fixes listed here: http://www.alpilotx.net/downloads/x-plane-10-hd-mesh-scenery-v3/#Fixes-Imporvements-in-v3
Just like before, this scenery needs at least X-Plane 10.25 (or any later version) to work properly!
With all the improvements and new a region, the overall file volume grew to a new record setting 99 GBytes (scattered over 98 distinct ZIP files, each covering a 10×10 degree area). Luckily, this year a few more parties (whom I would like to thank!) joined in to help in the distribution process (with servers and bandwidth). They are:
– flightsim.com (with direct download AND very important: BitTorrent seeding)
– x-plane.org (will have files online in a few days)
All informations, possible updates, installation instructions, and download links (with a detailed dynamic map) can be found here:
A large selection of screenshots can be found here:
– Normal: HDMeshSceneryV3FINAL | 101666907909842492197
– Comparison (default, v2, v3) : HDMeshSceneryV3FINALComparisonShots | 101666907909842492197
I recommend all users (especially those who are new to the HD Mesh Scenery v3):
– first start with one or two small regions. Download them, install them, test if it works and then – slowly, step-by-step – get more regions!
– Use BitTorrent (via flightsim.com) if possible, to avoid traffic congestion at the download sites!
– PLEASE take the time to read the short but important instructions! They help you (and then me) to avoid the most common mistakes!
Have a lot of fun!