We all know this video that is very good on how to master the autopilot of a B737 or that one that is the nirvana of propeller engine control. OK, let’s put all together – a list of really, really good videos (real world or simulated) relevant to our hobby.
Because the list is immense, a cautious approach (no pun intended) is required. Hence only a handful of videos are presented. Should you have other recommendations, please feel free to add them in the Comments area.
There are a few gurus we should start with. Typically they address a particular airplane, suitable add ons or even hardware and they show thorough videos on how to operate proficiently them. Here is a short list:
- Being PMDG B737 NGX probably the most popular FS add on, many are certainly keen to master it. In Skysurfer007´s YouTube channel you find the most comprehensive collection of B737 videos, including a complete flight from Vienna to Innsbruck on IVAO, and failures such as engine fire take-off real procedures, etc.
- FSXPilot767 channel features a bunch of nice FSX videos covering a wide variety of topics such as a bold landing at St. Barts with the Twin Otter, and a comprehensive series of tutorials on PMDG B737 NGX.
- Frooglesim’s videos cover a wide range of applications (such as on how to set up EZDOK cameras) for FSX and X-Plane (configuring the views and controls) and useful hardware (for example, a review on Saitek’s new high end HOTAS, the X55 Rhino). For FSX addons, Frooglesim covers the Majestic Q400 (5 videos), Coolsky DC-9, Aerosoft Airbus X Extended (a set of 10 videos on flight planning and flying, including a fully automated approach into Paris Charles De Gaulle airport), Milviz Sabre, etc. It is relevant the collection of videos for PMDG’s B777 (6 videos, including a 3 part flight from KJFK to KDEN), and B737 NGX (11 videos including a Cat III landing –a zero visibility flight from London Gatwick to Rome, a flight from Amsterdam to Innsbruck – includes fuel planning and FMC programming and the use of FSBuild and the TopCat application – and a flight from Gatwick to Amsterdam using FS2Crew).
- Kyle Rodgers covers a wide variety of FSX topics such as quick tips (autopilot operation, autoland, an overview of the MCP, etc.), cost indexes, offsets, SIDs and STARs, ETOPS, a complete PFPX tutorial, and flight tutorials on the PMDG B777.
- The FSX Genius channel presents videos on a flight school (7 videos including a Vatsim tutorial/demonstration and guide to SIDs and STARs). Inevitably this channel also covers a series of tutorials for the PMDG B737 NGX and on add on software, as well as on technical and system tweaks.
- Matt Davies’ (aka Belinz) tutorials cover topics featuring mostly flights with the PMDG B737 NGX, Aerosoft Airbus and also an “How to” – FSX series, such as how to fly an ILS, how to install EZDOK, etc.
Interesting and useful, ad hoc videos:
- A series of videos on the Majestic Q400 including the engine start procedure, a shared cockpit flight, etc.
- Do you own EZDOK camera and want to learn how to use it? This 6-video collection shows you the first steps in setting it up for FSX. Watch this video collection to master EZDOK.
Not-to-miss, beautiful real world videos:
- If you enjoy watching real world videos pay a visit to Baixadoetravado YouTube channel where you can find beautiful videos shot from A320s cockpit in Brazil. It is a remarkable collection with the exciting moments of the flight, approaches and take-offs, from a variety of airports around Brazil.
While in this channel don´t miss a video that demonstrates the use of the THRUST LEVERS along with the A/THR system for a FLEX TO in a A319 flight from SBBR to SBTE.
- Do you want to practice your cross-wind landings? Watch these real world videos shot on Birmingham’s (UK) airport on a windy day last winter.