MS release new Flight aircraft… exterior.

Microsoft have announced the release of the latest DLC aircraft for Flight and, as most had already guessed from the teaser shots, it’s the Vought F4U Corsair

…unfortunately, as almost everyone also guessed, once again it’s a “Light” aircraft with an external model only and no cockpit at all, the same as the P-40, P-51D and Zero previously released.

Needless to say, the question is being repeatedly and vocally asked whether Microsoft are listening to their customer base at all – which as the release schedule for the DLC was probably developed months ago equally probably makes what customers are saying right now pretty irrelevant. With this one now out of the way and the next piece of planned DLC being the Alaska expansion, most people seem to be hoping that at least the new scenery pack will come with a “Deluxe” additional aircraft in the same way that the full Hawaii pack came with the Van’s RV.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Ian P
Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:41

Yes, it is a money making exercise. MS have complained for years that they don’t see themselves as getting ‘their fair share’ of after-market income for their software in general. This isn’t limited to Flight – it’s a model they are trying to introduce to all their titles. I’d also agree with you regarding land and sea traffic, to an extent, but again, the business model of Flight ties it intrinsically to GfWL, which also intrinsically targets it at online use as that is the whole purpose of GfWL, the same as it is XBox Live. In an interview a… Read more »

Michel
Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:22

Hi Ian, indeed the business model of Flight was not a techy sim and I agree with you and I’m aware that they are faithful to this. However, what I see as a poor strategical choice in their dev methods is to release a 2012 game based on 2005 fsx engine lets say and remove all visual animation that creates life and that was a big step forward in terms of eye candy features back then. Usualy games engines are improved and pushed toward more eye candy with today’s technologies. Ms on the opposite, decided to degrade the engine visual… Read more »

Matthias Postema
Thursday, May 31, 2012 10:14

I completely gife up on MS Flight,

What a waste of money!

Ian P
Wednesday, May 30, 2012 21:49

Darnit, Johan… I want some penguins in FSX now, let alone Flight! I blame you entirely!

Doesn’t Aerosoft’s Antarctica feature penguin colonies?

Johan
Thursday, May 31, 2012 15:30
Reply to  Ian P

Hey, I didn’t even know Aerosoft had an Antarctica scenery – thanks for pointing that out! Just finished watching their promotional video – not a single penguin in sight! How the **** can they forget the most important feature of a whole continent :-O

But seriously, I agree with you entirely. Flight is not FS11, and most probably never will be.

Roland
Friday, June 1, 2012 15:05
Reply to  Johan

You can download penguins for the Antarctica X scenery from here:

Ian P
Friday, June 1, 2012 16:04
Reply to  Roland

Aha! There they are! I knew I’d seen them somewhere.

Thanks Roland.

Johan
Wednesday, May 30, 2012 21:30

Exactly, so the next expansion (after Alaska) will be Antarctica. Surely, the bean counters at MS will allow the extra costs for modelling some penguins 🙂