More news about Microsoft flight simulator

flight_soldWe have now heard directly from reliable sources, who have requested to remain undisclosed, that the ‘franchise’ sold recently by Microsoft is not that of FSX, but rather that of the newer “MSFlight“. We also learned that an official annoucement is to be expected soon, from the purchaser of the license.

This entity, which we are not yet at freedom to divulge, is no stranger to the simulation market. We will, of course, keep you updated as soon as more information becomes available.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Johan
Thursday, June 19, 2014 18:16

I read weird things here. The Marketplace was shut down in August last year. A few simmers claim they were still able to purchase DLC, but my feeling only because of some remaining loopholes in the system. Last year a gamer site showed a MS memo, specifying that MS would officially shut down Games for Windows Live (GFWL) on the 1st of July, 2014. That’s less than two weeks from now. Nobody knows what will happen next (if anything happens at all).

Bob
Thursday, June 19, 2014 19:47
Reply to  Johan

There was a brief loophole, after the GfWL store was closed, when you could still get the pay DLC through Steam, in the form of GfWL codes. I got my one-and-only paid cockpitless wonder, the C-46, that way using Steam credit.

Flight will run not logged in to GfWL, so the closure of the system won’t kill it completely as being usable. Hopefully it will get rid of the stupid adverts in the corner, advertising content you already have, though.

Ayster
Thursday, June 19, 2014 13:44

Aerofly fs wasn’t by Aerosoft! It was by IPACS, nothing to do with Aerosoft!… https://www.aeroflyfs.com/ and actually it was pretty good, if a little limited due to the fact you could only fly around Switzerland, hopefully one day they’ll expand it.

Eric
Thursday, June 12, 2014 08:58

I wouldnt mid purchasing a copy of MSFlight, just to see what everyone is banging on about.

John
Thursday, June 12, 2014 19:44
Reply to  Eric

Microsoft Flight is free. You can get it here:

Bob
Friday, June 13, 2014 08:23
Reply to  John

What you can’t get any more, though, is the additional DLC content. In some cases (the cockpitless wonder warbirds) that’s no loss at all. In other cases, such as the Maule, Van’s RV and scenery packs, that’s not so good. If you can still get the Stearman, do so. The Icon toy that you get given as part of the free pack, which was intended to be a “gentle introduction” does absolutely nothing at all to show what Flight can do. It’s probably 90% of the reason that people think it has no capabilities at all, because if all you’ve… Read more »

Ayster
Thursday, June 19, 2014 13:48
Reply to  Bob

think the Stearman comes with Flight?

Bob
Thursday, June 19, 2014 15:33
Reply to  Ayster

The only aircraft that came “completely free” was the Icon A5. You got the Stearman for linking your copy of Flight to the now defunct Games for Windows Live service. As GfWL was moved into X-Box Live and then technically killed off (although I can apparently still log into this non-existent service…) then you may no longer be able to get the Stearman.

Steve
Wednesday, June 11, 2014 21:40

They did. Aerofly FS was released almost two years ago. It looked pretty but it was terrible.

Ayster
Thursday, June 19, 2014 13:50
Reply to  Steve

Paul
Wednesday, June 11, 2014 13:27

I agree that MS Flight can be enjoyable. I have had MS Flight from the 1st day of the beta test so I know the program very well. I wanted it to succeed, but now I’m glad it did not because I don’t want a company to tell us what we get. The phrase “the customer is always right” rings true because the customer has the money. Either a company provides the majority of simmers what they want or they will go out of business. True simmers don’t allow companies to limit realism or regress to something old. We all… Read more »

Bob
Wednesday, June 11, 2014 14:58
Reply to  Paul

Nope, I think we’re all in agreement with that post, Paul.

What we really need right now, of course, is the elusive press release with a name in it. Some intentions might be nice, as well.

Everyone can speculate as much as they like, but without a name and their intentions in the public domain, black and white, that’s all we’re achieving – burning up electrons!

Ayster
Wednesday, June 11, 2014 15:26
Reply to  Bob

I was thinking about this today and I’m wondering if its Aerosoft, as they were at one time going to develop their own sim, but haven’t heard anything about that recently, it would be a great way for them to get it off the ground!